If We Were Riding’ is a weekly triathlon-ish newsletter written by Kelly O’Mara and produced by Live Feisty Media. Subscribe to get it in your inbox every Wednesday morning. You can also read past issues. This episode is from Dec. 12, 2018.
After finishing the Challenge Daytona race on Sunday, I am officially on vacation this week. Like a real vacation, without triathlon. So there won’t be a new podcast on Friday. And the newsletter is a bit short. Sorry, not sorry. May I suggest checking out all the archives instead? This continues to be one of our most popular episodes.
Oh, and guys, Daytona was nuts. You can spot me below riding circles around the speedway. After multiple storm delays and the pros maybe having a little too much time to brainstorm alternative contests, we ended up swimming a very choppy 1600m in the lake in the middle of the stadium, biking 15 windy laps around the track, and then running eight humid miles inside the infield (and some on the track). It was crazy. And something no one’s ever gotten to do before, and may not ever get to again. Now, vacation.
A Note from Sara…
Hey folks, friends, or as Kelly would say… guys (which is not gender neutral… FYI)
As you know Kelly is on vacation, wrote the intro (above), added some of her usual stories and links (below) and then left me to fill in the middle… ha.
So while I have my chance, I have a few things to say. Here we go.
1) Since 2018 is winding up, Christmas is coming etc… I thought it might be a good time to recruit all of you to say THANK YOU to all of the awesome people who have made Live Feisty, this newsletter, the podcasts and the Outspoken Summit amazing. Here’s my request. Pick 1 or 2 people that you love hearing from every week through Live Feisty and write them a message telling them why you appreciate what they do. Here are some awesome people to choose from:
Ashley Wiles (IRONWOMEN live host)
Alyssa Godesky (IRONWOMEN podcast host)
Haley Chura (IRONWOMEN podcast host)
Erin Hamilton (IRONWOMEN & If We Were Riding podcast editor)
Lisa Ingarfield (co-founder OUTSPOKEN SUMMIT)
…and last but not least:
Kelly O’Mara (If We Were Riding podcast host & newsletter writer)
Just hit “reply” on this newsletter and send me your thoughts on why these women are awesome. I would really appreciate that.
2) I started Live Feisty Media over a year ago with the goal of creating content – not really for women specifically, but by women (and other unheard voices). My thinking is less about the reader or listener, who could be anyone, and more about who gets to speak, or write, or be on camera. Because who we hand the microphone to matters.
My question for you, our Feisty community, is this – what do you want to see in 2019? I want to know. Here are some ideas:
- more written content on livefeisty.com
- new podcast? and if so, about what?
- a video series? about what?
OR, last but not least, should I bring back “Backstroke and Boobs”? If you don’t know what that is, check out this episode in which Karen & I wear tampon jewelry and talk about racing with your period or this episode in which Karen teaches me to wax myself.
3) Thank YOU. We are a small community and don’t ever think that your voice doesn’t matter. We want to hear from you, we need your like, your share and your good vibes to grow.
Thanks to everyone for reading and listening and generally being awesome. And thanks to Kelly for letting me take over today.
Love you all,
(the feisty chief)
- After talking to Thorsten about creating some kind of performance criteria for championship qualification, he came up with this interesting and clever idea of creating a multiplier to convert women’s and men’s times and then rank them. It’s a work in progress, but I think it makes sense.
- BTW, I was in Daytona to answer this question: Challenge Returns to the U.S.—Will It Work This Time?
- And I wrote a heart-warming story about kids while I was there.
- What do we think about cyclists coming over to triathlon after doping bans?
- Ironman also did an AMA with their anti-doping head. (Or you could listen to the old Ironwomen podcast with her.)
- People are really into paying money to bike in their own house. At least, *other* people are into paying money to bike in their own house. Me? I’m not so sure.
- Meet the woman who runs faster than men. “You just go until you reach your own finish line.” (Granted, she then had a rough race in Arizona this weekend, but it happens.)
- What if the argument about why WNBA players are paid less is just wrong?
- And just for fun: NBA players stand next to regular people.
Comments & Thoughts
Some thoughts, emails, messages and notes from listeners and readers this week.
– Peter (and a few others) had some more questions about the whole Ironman Argentina Kona qualification kerfuffle. Which we answered on the podcast.
– And Karlyn just wanted to share the love. “I absolutely love your newsletter! Read it every week and share it with friends.”