In this Episode
This podcast is presented in collaboration with VinFast IRONMAN World Championship. Tune in as the women take on Kailua-Kona on October 14 and show your support!
Kelly O’Mara (Our Moderator) welcomes an expert panel to answer your questions about racing in Kona for the first time.
The expert panel includes:
Diana Bertsch – IRONMAN Senior Vice President, World Championship Events
Sika Henry – First Black Female Professional Triathlete
Cherie Gruenfeld – 22x IRONMAN Finisher
Michelle Simmons – Triathlon Coach based in Kona
They’ll cover off on topics, including:
- First time not wearing a wetsuit in the swim – what to expect and how to stay calm in the water
- First time swimming in the ocean – what to expect, how to get back in your mindset when you get “spooked”
- First time racing in “island” heat and humidity – Cooling, Hydration, what do I need to do when I arrive to start acclimating
- What should I plan to bring, versus what can I buy on the island?
- Do I need to rent a car to ride the course, do I need to ride some of the course beforehand, is it safe? What if I have to ride alone?
- What if I only get to Kona a few days before the event? Will that be enough time to acclimate to the conditions?
- Should I do a practice swim, and where can I do that?
- How to get yourself out of “the dark place” during those rough moments in the race
- How to navigate wind on the bike and current on the swim
- Special advice from our exert panel
Follow Women for Tri for more inspiration and information on training and racing IRONMAN 70.3 and IRONMAN distances.
This podcast uses the following third-party services for analysis:
Podsights – https://podsights.com/privacy
Chartable – https://chartable.com/privacy